Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Nastassja On The Moon In The Gutter

Nastassja has unfortunately not spoken much on THE MOON IN THE GUTTER since it was booed at the Cannes Film Festival back in 1983. Reports say that the film actually began receiving hisses and cat-calls before it even started playing which pretty much lays out that it didn't stand a chance, no matter its merits.
Here are a couple of short quotes by Nastassja on the film:

"It starts at night. Vaguely, it's about...a man starts staring at this gutter and he fantasizes about this girl-that's me-who got stabbed there. He looked all over the place for her murderer. Every man he meets, he accuses of her murder. They all start to believe his accusations. In the end you figure out that he is the real murderer. Depardieu is the guy. There's lots of plot and it's pretty hard to explain."

"It touches something they don't want to have touched."

6 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Great quotes from her. I especially love the second one. That's so true about so many films.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith...I agree that second quote is brilliant.

Cinebeats said...

I've been looking forward to reading your thoughts about this film Jeremy!

I've only seen it once on video, but I really liked it and I would love to see it again. I'm rather surprised by all the negative comments and the reactions it got, but thanks for sharing them. I thought it was a fascinating film myself with some really memorable imagery and it has some great performances in it from everyone involved.

Jean-Jacques Beineix is a great director and I wish he would make more films.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much Kimberly,
I hope you enjoy my review when I get it posted in teh next several days...it is a tricky film to write about so I hope it comes out interesting.
It is amazing how incredible harsh the reviews were...I love Beineix and I too wish he would make more films...

scott said...

To me, it remains her key film. I hope someday an interviewer will press her on the film and see what comments she has on it today.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Scott...I would love to hear more comments from her on it as it is absolutely a key film in her career...thanks for the comments and I hope you continue enjoying the posts...