Monday, February 4, 2008

Pacino On Revolution


The most disappointing aspect of REVOLUTION is that it wasted what could have been a wonderful meeting between two of the most iconic actors of the seventies and eighties. While the scenes between Nastassja Kinski and Al Pacino are chief among REVOLUTION'S highlights, one wishes that the two would have had another opportunity to work together in a more worthwhile production. Perhaps a future film will bring that. Here are some quotes from Pacino on the film that proved to be the biggest failure of his career:

"I'm not wary of that sort of thing (the financial failure of REVOLUTION). I've made other movies that weren't successful and made as loud a noise on the way down."

"That film wasn't finished, it had another six months of work. It was like selling somebody a car without a motor. The audience saw something incomplete."

"It affected me tremendously. I loved playing a guy who had to take care of himself and his family, living off the land, making his own fire, just surviving. It made me understand my roots and what it was like here two hundred years ago...I feel as though I've experienced it."

"I was a bit disillusioned by the way a movie I made called REVOLUTION was treated. The right narrative and more cutting-viewing the movie more as a silent film-would have helped. REVOLUTION was one of those things that happen in a career, where you learn so much from it because it was such a disorienting experience. After that kind of work and energy and the talent put into it. I expected that they would have worked on that film, but they just let it go. They put half a film out. I was appalled and shocked by that. I didn't know what to do. It was that single film that took the rug out from under me; I lost interest for a while...I went back to the drawing board."

"REVOLUTION was the biggest failure I've ever had...it has stuff in it that's very good, so that's the failure."

....
Several of the above quotes are taken from the essential and excellent AL PACINO: IN CONVERSATION WITH LAWRENCE GROBEL.