Friday, July 13, 2007

Nastassja Through The Window


Next Week I will begin covering Nastassja's sixth film, TESS, with a variety of posts on several different aspects of the film, and the people involved in the creation of it. I wanted to start here with a more personal note about the film, before I dive into it in a couple of days.
TESS is a very special film. The novel it was based on was an incredible work by a very gifted writer and the young woman who gave Roman Polanski the book in 1969, just a few months before her life was taken away from her, was an extraordinary person who wanted very much to see Roman make the film. Everyone who would work on the film throughout 1979 were at the top of their field and they all gave TESS their very best efforts. The two main things though that made, and continue to make, TESS such a special film are it's director, Roman Polanski, and leading lady, Nastassja Kinski. The series of posts I will be delivering next week are dedicated to both of them, as well to Thomas Hardy and Sharon Tate, for creating what I consider one of the finest films ever made.
I first saw TESS as a teenager in the 1980s on home video and it was major experience for me. No matter how many times I have seen it, the film never loses that majestic pull that it first had on me so many years ago. It remains, along with PARIS TEXAS, the greatest film Nastassja Kinski ever made and the embodiment of everything special in her that I have always felt when I watch her films.
I hope my upcoming posts are enjoyable for fans of Roman Polanski's TESS and will hopefully maybe even lead a few people who haven't seen it to search it out.

4 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I can't remember when I first saw this film, but I always loved it. You can't really go wrong with Roman Polanski as director and Nastassja Kinski as star. It's a wonderful film. I look forward to your blogs on it.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I'll be posting on it throughout the week staring tomorrow...hope you enjoy them.

rodanrodan2000 said...

I remember going to see TESS at the theater in St. Louis in early 1981. I had already read about the film in magazines like FILM COMMENT and went to see the film with my parents.

I found the movie overwhelming both visually and musically and always regarded it as one of the best and most underrated films of it's time. Indeed, of the films nominated for Best Picture of 1980, I only regarded Raging Bull as better, and even that film did not move me as much as TESS.

It took far too long for a quality DVD of this movie to finally be released.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks for your memories of seeing the film in a theater. I absolutely agree with your thoughts on it...thanks for commenting