Thursday, August 2, 2007

Coppola on One From The Heart


An invaluable book on Francis Ford Coppola is the University Press of Mississippi's great FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA INTERVIEWS. Coppola talks a lot about the making of ONE FROM THE HEART as well as his feelings on the final product and what it meant to him.
Below are a few small excerpts from the book that I thought were worth posting here.

From an interview with Scott Haller in 1981:
"I wanted to take a fable like story and treat it almost the way Disney would approach a story in his animated films. Treat it with very expressive sets and lighting and music that heighten the story. If we made the movie in Las Vegas, it would have been just another relationship movie set on a real location with people jumping in and out of cabs, talking about their love affairs. I wanted to do something people hadn't seen before."

"The city (Las Vegas) is a metaphor for the state of love itself. I want the film to be the emotions of these people, just like in APOCALYPSE NOW."

"If we (Zoetrope) ever had a lot of money. We could be a very dangerous company."

From an interview with Lillian Ross in 1982:
"There is and can be content in technology. New tunes that we've never heard before, because they're never been possible before."

"I think it's wise to separate the earning of money from the making of a movie, but I wanted to own the rights to my own movies-to be the one to decide what to do with what I make. At the same time I was trying to use new methods. Everyone seems to be encouraging you to be ordinary, to tell the same old story the same old way, package it this way, package it that way. Just get the money. All that doesn't interest me. I like to experiment-to push the techniques of moviemaking forward and simultaneously find the most economical methods of making a film."

"If I have my own studio, to keep the control and supervision to myself, it is taking a risk. Taking risks, like this one creates some excitement. You may not have been excited, but others were."

"If you don't bet, you don't have a chance to win. It's so silly in life not to pursue the highest possible thing you can imagine, even if you run the risk of losing it all, because if you don't pursue it you've lost it anyway. You can't be an artist and be safe."

No comments: