Tuesday, May 20, 2008

#23: L'Alba (Dawn)

Francesco Maselli's A'Alba (Dawn) is a fascinating two character driven piece that I unfortunately can't offer a proper review to as I don't have an English language friendly version of it. I can however say that it is one of the most striking films starring Nastassja that I have seen as it is literally a production obsessed by her face. Featuring in nearly ever shot of its slim eighty minute running time, Nastassja's face is shot in some of the longest and most loving close ups of her career. It's as if Maselli had seen the famed close up of her in Paris, Texas and decided to make a feature around it.
The Roman born Maselli had been making movies since the forties in Italy and he shot both L'Alba and Il Segreto with Nastassja around his sixtieth birthday. He is still active to this day as he just recently co-directed a feature (Civico Zero) starring another one of cinema's most beautiful women, namely Ornella Muti.
I will offer up a proper review of this visually haunting film one day if I can get my hands on an English subtitled print. My apologies but I hope these exclusive screen shots from it will suffice for now.




















2 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I've never seen this film before so I don't really know anything about it. I loved the shots that you posted. Very beautiful.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith...glad you liked them!